Random Thoughts

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Playing Dress-up

As I was walking in to work today in my Mad Hatter costume, I thought, how nice is it that we can all get another chance once a year to play dress-up. I played dress-up a lot as a kid and then again when my brother and sister were little. Sometimes, my friends would come over and they would get in on it, too. I think Halloween, for lots of people, doesn't have to do with witch craft and trouble, but with a chance to be childlike for a day. It is completely acceptable to act ridiculous and blame it on Halloween. I am so blessed to be in a lab that actively participates every year in dressing up, even to the point of deciding on a group theme for the entire lab. It makes you smile and laugh and others who see you get a little enjoyment out of it, as well.

Some people have lost touch with this inner child, I believe. And that makes me really sad for them. I've been realizing that I am not growing up the older I get, at least not entirely, but I am growing younger and more childlike. And it's wonderful! I appreciate children so much for the way they see the world and the way their imaginations are so powerful. In some ways I missed my own childhood so I'm trying to hold on to those childlike qualities I find in myself. Luckily for me, Christ asked us to come to him as a child. With childlike faith that He can handle everything.

Days like this remind me of that. Dressing up reminds me of the imagination and pure belief that children have.

Happy Halloween.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

How fun =) I wish I had taken advantage of the opportunity to dress up this year... but alas I was not feeling up for a Halloween party Saturday night. It was a pirates vs. ninjas theme. I had half of my pirate costume planned out... would've been fun, alas.

I was a "starry night" last year--the simplest, cheapest yet sort of creative idea I found ; ) Dressed in black and wrapped myself in star garland, ha.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home